Best battery choice? + Current Draw used per flight

Bob Kane getterflash at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 14 05:57:00 AKDT 2003

Hmmmmm, that seems high. I did some quick math, my typical battery consumption of 100mAH per flight works out to an average current draw of 750mAH for 8 minutes of flight time. That being said, your test appears valid. Looks like those digital servos are working real hard to hold their position.  My servo extensions are 22 gauge wire. Some quick checking of wire current capacity shows a 22 gauge vinyl jacketed wire can carry 8 amps continuously without melting the insulation, so 3 amps should not get it hot.  Brian Young <b4598070 at yahoo.com> wrote:I found I wasnt getting the capacity I thought I
should w/ my 1800 mah 6 cell flight pack. After two
masters sequences I recharged and put back in 600mah
(triton charger), pack was topped up prior to flight.

So back home, I put a current meter between the
battery and receiver. I draw about 90 mA with all
servos connected, each servo unplugged the total drops
by 15 mA, except for the throttle which drops 10 mA.
Wiggle the sticks and I can occasionally get over 300
mah. This didnt seem unusual to me, anyone disagree?

So I left the meter in place and started the plane, at
idle the meter was reading 3 Amps, yep 3. Has anyone
else done this?

I move the trottle off idle a little and the current
drops to about 2-2.5 Amps, so my throttle servo is
bottoming a bit.

3 Amps in this gauge wire seems like it should be
getting something hot, but I hooked the multimeter up
in series with my battery just like I learned in
school.

The servos are all digital JRs with over one season
use, except I did replace the Aileron servos w/ new
yesterday but havent had a chance to repeat my test.
All thoughts on what could be causing this are
appreciated. Otherwise a 4000 mah flight pack is
looking good to me. Is there any reason a worn servo
would draw more current?

Thanks.,

=====
Brian Young