DZ daze (Days)

Henderson,Eric Eric.Henderson at gartner.com
Sun Apr 13 16:01:05 AKDT 2003

 Last Saturday was a bit frustrating. I had fitted a DZ to my trusty Hydeout. "Two hours of pushing broom...." later, I gave up and went home. The engine was driving me nuts. I could get it to run but it would not transition. The idle was good but it would die with no warning.

I did a search on of all the DZ notes and made some changes. I removed the in-line spigot that could cause frothing in the line and switched to the Hemostat method to prevent flooding. The fuel line fill 'T' was replaced with a filter-T so the line to the engine pump was not touching any part of the fuselage.

Still it would not run acceptably so I used the Don S, method below.

Guess what? It worked. I flew two flights with no dead-stick and entered the land of DZ power. The message "Use the list it really helps!" More on the idle fix later

DZ set up notes

Props  16.5 x12W APC
16-12........ 8700-8800
16.5-12W... 8400-8600
17-12.........8100-8200.(Troy Newman)

Start engine.   Start with needle 3 turns out. Regulator almost flush with screw housings

A. If engine does (loads up an quits after 10 seconds) screw the pump out.
B. With needle rich (2 1/2 turns)  run full throttle.
C. Then reduce back to idle, screw in a quarter turn, run full throttle.
D. (Look for rpm increase). Keep doing this process until you year that increase. E.  Go another 1/4 turn until it does not increase or starts to knock.
F. Then back off an eight to quarter turn.

Note- during each run-up do not running at full throttle for more than about 3 seconds. Keep engine cool.

This gives great idle on the ground and excellent runs. Don Sczzur

Engine: YS 140DZ
Prop: APC 16x12 (keeps prop noise down)
Pipe; ES- XL (2C pipe)  Less expensive and quiet
Fuel:  Magnum Heli Pro
Glow Plug: OS F
Filter:  YS
Tank:  Tetra 18 oz w/bladder
Needle- about 1 5/8 out.
Pump- about 3/4 turn past flush.

Note:- The pump (turning it out) makes it pump with less pressure, thus the need to screw out the needle.  The less pressure also results in leaner idle.  Likewise, turning the pump screw in makes the pump (pump more).  Turn it in too much and the fuel line pops off at the injector!  No need for this much pressure.

# discussion-request at nsrca.org