Best battery choice?

AAbdu at aol.com AAbdu at aol.com
Fri Apr 11 05:59:35 AKDT 2003

It seems like every month a new battery technology is introduced. NiMh, Lithium ion, NiCad etc. Each one claiming to be better than the last. It seems like I am the last pattern flyer still using old familiar, heavy, memory burdoned NiCads. I am considering investing in updated batteries and all of the other things needed to maintain them. I have accepted that I will need not only the battery, but a new charger, regulator, and all the other fixins. Given that condition, what is the latest info pro and con on the new battery technology. I know there was an availability issue with the duralites that has seemed to be resolved, then I remembered hearing something about them overheating or blowing up or spontaneously combusting or something. My point is, there is a lot of misinformation out there and I am trying to find out what works best from those who use it.
In order of importance of features:
1. Reliability
2. Weight (lighter is better)
3. Capacity, can I get 5 flights on them, can they be quick  charged?
4. Durability / margin of error / expected life span. If I leave the RX on do I have to replace them?
5. Price
6. Availibility

I appreciate any information you guys can provide.
Thank you.
Anthony
# discussion-request at nsrca.org