vinyl-ester, PL and ZN kits

Rcmaster199 at aol.com Rcmaster199 at aol.com
Thu Apr 10 15:18:07 AKDT 2003

In a message dated 4/10/2003 5:50:37 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
Tom.Koenig at actewagl.com.au writes:

> Subj:vinyl-ester, PL and ZN kits
> Date:4/10/2003 5:50:37 PM Eastern Daylight Time
> From:<A HREF="mailto:Tom.Koenig at actewagl.com.au">Tom.Koenig at actewagl.com.au</A>
> To:<A HREF="mailto:discussion at nsrca.org">discussion at nsrca.org</A>
> Sent from the Internet
>

> Hi all,
>
> I think I asked something along these lines a few years ago but.........
> anyway.
> I have a neighbour who owns a panel shop and he just offered me the use of
> his booth to do the clear coat. Now, ZN and Pl kits are vinyl-ester resin (
> correct?). What temperature can I ( safely)  crank the booth up to, to
> force
> dry the clear? I dont want to end up with an expensive, colourful, blob of
> carbon and kevlar on the floor of the spray booth!
>
> Matt... I seem to remember you mentioned something about this...Gray..I
> guess you would know the GT etc?
>
> I was tending to head for a safe temp around 40-45 deg C ( 104-113 deg F)
> Can I go to 60?
>
> Thanks for any help
>
> Tom
>
> PS: never had these problems with wood!

Tom,

You should be fine at 45 C. It gets that hot here in Florida, in the car, all
the time. Just don't place undue stresses on the fuse as the clear is curing,
because the plastic could take a set; ie- hanging the beastie, vertically,
like meat carcass, from the firewall would work okay. Or from the wing tube
or saddle. If you get in hurry and hang it from the nose ring, there may be
too much stress there and may bend the ring

At 45C the clear should cookoff pretty fast. You should be able to handle the
plane in few hours not days, without leaving prints

The ZN Line uses the vinyl ester resin system since it works better in
Kevlar. I think PLPROD uses that also, but not certain. Glass transition
temp, the temp where the plastic gets soft, is generally lower than for most
epoxies. But even an epoxy matrix could take a set at 50-60 C if twisted and
held for a few hours. So proper handling is really the key to what you want
to do

Hope that helps Tom

regards

Matt