feather cut

Rcmaster199 at aol.com Rcmaster199 at aol.com
Wed Apr 2 14:20:42 AKST 2003

In a message dated 4/2/2003 12:51:25 PM Eastern Standard Time,
spbyrum at hiwaay.net writes:

> Subj:RE: feather cut
> Date:4/2/2003 12:51:25 PM Eastern Standard Time
> From:<A HREF="mailto:spbyrum at hiwaay.net">spbyrum at hiwaay.net</A>
> To:<A HREF="mailto:discussion at nsrca.org">discussion at nsrca.org</A>
> Sent from the Internet
>

> Brian
>
> Try a larger harder wheel.  I'm trying to learn, too.  Wings are not too
> bad.  Stabs ok, too.  I tried cutting a vertical fin.  That didn't go
> very well.  The big difference between root and tip along with the very
> short span make it very challenging.
>
> Steve Bryum

Steve,

There should be a way to use simple geometric principles to cut a very sort
span, highly tapered wing such as a fin. Have you tried anchoring one end of
the bow down, and only moving the other in a circular fashion. The anchored
end will basically serve as the center of the circle. Depending on where you
place the foam blank within the circle, you should be able to cut a very high
taper and short span wih extreme accuracy.

BTW, this is true for all tapered wings, except it becomes somewhat
impractical for wide chord wing tips, because the circle center is sometimes
10 feet away from where the cut is made.

Just an idea for you to mull over

Matt Kebabjian