3M 170 Flight report

Tomanek, Wojtek tomanekw at saic-abingdon.com
Tue Apr 1 13:20:16 AKST 2003

Sounds awfully good ,,

Thanks Jim

Wkt

-----Original Message-----
From: Woodward James R Civ 412 TW/DRP (Test Ops)
[mailto:James.Woodward2 at edwards.af.mil]
Sent: Tuesday, April 01, 2003 3:20 PM
To: discussion at nsrca.org
Subject: RE: 3M 170 Flight report

Hi Wojtek

With only 5 flights and a total about 70 minutes run time, the total power
has yet to be realized.  Knowing this, it still has quite enough power out
of the box.  The carburetor operates similar to a perry carb, in that the
low-end and high-end adjustments are on the same side of carb body.  The
carb barrel rotates fore and aft, without the side-to-side translation of a
twin needle design where the low-end needle comes in and out of the spray
bar.  It is super slick.  This, combined with the twin plug head makes for
some clean "zippy" throttling.  So far, it seems like you can "fly" at any
throttle setting you want without loading-up or having trouble
accelerating/decelerating.  The rpm is increasing and decreasing
incrementally with the stick movement.  I have it setup where "1/2" throttle
yield ½ barrel opening, full throttle has full barrel opening.  Sounds
simple, but is something to check.  If you use the "end-point" electronic
adjustments of the transmitter, you might not have equal + and - barrel
movement.  I can't see a reason as of yet to use a throttle curve.  Setting
the servo end-points where the total travel needed is split 50/50 between
upper and lower stick positions seems to have done the trick so far (again,
½ open barrel correlates to ½ stick).

I don't think "loading-up" will be a phrase associate with this engine.
Jim

Jim

How does the 170 compare to your other 2 strokes, not necessarily the
ultimate power at max throttle but the "fly-ability" at the midrange??

Thanks
Wojtek