AMA Magazine Article - the paragraph

Larry Diamond jed241 at email.msn.com
Mon Sep 30 19:44:05 AKDT 2002

I haven't read anything to support this assessment. To be fair he needs to
be confronted and offered a chance to explain the meaning behind the
statement.

Case and point.... I coach my son's team and we play by the rules. I expect
the other coaches to play by the rules. We were undefeated last week playing
against a very tough team who was also undefeated. The rules say you must
start all players for atleast 12 plays per half. This didn't happen and they
ran the score up on us 28 to 0. The second half we closed the gap but time
ran out. I didn't protest the game but decided to watch and be certain I was
correct when they played again.

Tonight I watched them play before our game. Sure enough he wasn't playing
everyone. I was fuming and at half time I protested to the officials. Showed
them the rule and they confronted the coaches. They ended up in a very close
tie because he was called out and forced to play by the rules.

I talked to the Referee after the game and asked him what they said. The
response was the coach apologized and said he missed it in the rule book and
promised to follow that rule from then on. Then and there my anger with the
other coach shifted to respect...

Morale of the story...You must offer the opportunity to let the other
explain and clarify there intention before passing judgment. Otherwise, I
was just as guilty in my stereotyping as the other coach was for not
following the rules.

Larry