K-Factor vision of the future.

Bill Glaze billglaze at triad.rr.com
Mon Sep 30 11:37:59 AKDT 2002

A couple of items rattling around in my (almost empty!) head:
The K-Factor is pointed right at the market most of the manufacturers who are
advertising therein want to hit.  Most of them who are advertising are
interested in selling their pattern products, specifically, even though they may
be in other, more general markets.  In those markets, they will use other
avenues. (Model Aviation, MAN, etc.)
The point here is synergism; the advertisers want the K-Factor, as much as the
K-Factor wants them.  This is important.  Sure, you could advertise pattern
stuff in RCM, and waste a lot of money, because of the small segment of the
hobby who are interested in our specialty.  But, it's just not as good a use of
the advertising dollar.  So, the sum of advertisers + K-Factor add up to greater
than each alone.

Different subject:
Seems to me that the use of a CD-ROM for the K-F would bring us the worst of
both worlds.  You would be subject to the postman, mailing, labels, plus
production costs, and would still need to access a computer.  Not ruling out
anything; just noodling it around.
What we need is a new, interested, Eric Hawkinson (K-F publisher from a few
years ago) who will take over a limited production, and is computer literate
enough to get the K-F online at the same time.  He can't be expected to do it
for free.  But, he may still be out there, maybe even among our own number.

Other solutions will probably suggest themselves; it's just a matter of time.
How much of that commodity have we?

Hoping to be looked at as helpful.

Bill Glaze
NSRCA 2388