AMA Magazine Article

Martin X. Moleski, SJ moleski at canisius.edu
Sat Sep 28 06:09:56 AKDT 2002

--On Saturday, September 28, 2002 8:27 AM -0400 Thomas Shaw <shaw.thomas at worldnet.att.net> wrote:

> I just read Mike Hurley's RC Scale Aerobatics column ...

Me, too.

> I don't believe that Mike intended to malign the NSRCA ...

Sure came across that way.  Could he have been any more
damning if he'd tried?  :-O

> ... and I don't doubt Chuck's experience ...

Neither do I.

> ... I just found it sad that the NSRCA would get the negative press.

Me, too.

> ... I don't think I have met a nicer group of people.

The NSRCA is made up of human beans.  Some are nicer than
others.  Some give the sport a bad reputation, others a
good reputation.  We don't admit people based on a
character test.  If they pay their dues or their entrance
fee, they're in.  :o)

> Especially when you consider that everyone was busy competing.

That, I think, is the heart of the problem.  Shaking down a
new plane and practicing maneuvers takes a lot of concentration.
I've gotten a little snippy--OK, I've said some things I regret--OK,
I behaved like a jerk--a few times with people whom I really know
and like when having problems with a pattern engine or plane.
And I haven't even reached the point at which I can start
to practice enough to be competitive.  I behave differently
when I'm working with a competition plane than when I've got
a sport plane (GP Dazzler) or one of my combat planes
(Gremlin, Predator, Wonder) at the field.

Then there's the problem of missing significant club events
when I go to pattern contests.  At present, when there is
a conflict, I've usually chosen my club events (flying at
full-scale air shows, working and flying at our club's
annual fun-fly as the AMA CD, attending picnics,
teaching newcomers to fly, etc.).  I heard a local pattern
pilot talking about spending ten (10!) weeks on the road
to attend contests.  I can't afford that kind of investment
of time and money, but if I could and did, it sure would
weaken my relationship with my home club.   When people
saw me in mid-week, I would be a stranger to them and
I imagine I would be pretty busy practicing to get
ready for the next weekend's competition.

> Each and every person that I spoke with took the time to
> answer my questions in a friendly and thoughtful way.
> Even the contest director took time to talk with me in
> the middle of the contest and it wasn't just a five minute
> chat.  Based on my esperience I have every intention of
> joining the NSRCA.

Wonderful!

> I hope the contrast of these two stories can be of some help to the organization.

I hope so, too.

					Marty #2874
# discussion-request at nsrca.org