AMA Magazine Article

Thomas Shaw shaw.thomas at worldnet.att.net
Sat Sep 28 04:27:28 AKDT 2002

I just read Mike Hurley's RC Scale Aerobatics column in the  November issue of Model Aviation.  He has been following Chuck Hobart around as a newcomer to the sport and has a Q&A in the article.  Chuck makes a most unfortunate comment regarding the unfriendly reception he received at a pattern contest a few years back.

I don't believe that Mike intended to malign the NSRCA and I don't doubt Chuck's experience, I just found it sad that the NSRCA would get the negative press.

This past September I spent several hours as a visitor at the Milan Michigan pattern contest to see what the sport is all about.  I am considering joining the NSRCA and getting involved in pattern competition.  I don't think I have met a nicer group of people.  Especially when you consider that everyone was busy competing.  Each and every person that I spoke with took the time to answer my questions in a friendly and thoughtful way.  Even the contest director took time to talk with me in the middle of the contest and it wasn't just a five minute chat.  Based on my esperience I have every intention of joining the NSRCA.

I hope the contrast of these two stories can be of some help to the organization.

Regards

Tom Shaw