Receiver Choices

RC Steve Sterling rcsteve at tcrcm.org
Fri Sep 27 12:05:01 AKDT 2002

The 138DP is an 8 channel PCM receiver. PCM transmits a digital data stream
like a modem and the receiver has a microprocessor to decode it all.

The 148DP is an 8 channel PPM receiver. An old standby. PPM varies the width
of FM modulation pulses to communicate servo position.

The 149DP is a 9 channel PCM receiver.

PPM receivers see interference or low signal as some different pulse widths,
so they tend to cause the servos to jitter and jump and be pretty
unpredictable when there is a problem.

When PCM receivers get interference or low signal, they either just stay
put, or go to a pre-programmed setting, like low throttle, wings level.

PCM receivers generally have cost quite a bit more than the PPM receivers,
so the 138DP price is encouraging. There is much debate, particularly on
this list, on which is better/more reliable. PPM proponents say that they
see problems coming when the plane starts jumping around, and with the
warning, may have time to get down and solve it. PCM proponents say they
don't see as many problems in the first place, and would rather have their
servos do predictable things when faced with interference.

I run PCM in my pattern planes, PPM (cheaper) in my sport, funfly, float
planes, etc. No problem with either. Have seen others with failures in both
types of receivers. Because equipment does fail, you will get anecdotal
stories from both sides, but nobody has done a scientific study to really
determine which is better, and under what condtions.