Differential question

Larry Diamond jed241 at email.msn.com
Thu Sep 26 17:59:31 AKDT 2002

Emory,

This may be a bit more than your willing to do...However....

If you are gutsy enough, cut the wing in half..."straight" down the center and make a new center rib, ? Epoxy and glass the center 3 to 4 inches to prevent the wing from collapsing when pulling loops. When putting the wing back together, remove as much dihedral as you dare (leave say about 3/8 inch or so).

I did this to a Great Planes Trainer 40 and flew it for 8 years with a .46 engine. Great performer for funfly events with respectable rolls and would perform Sportsman maneuvers with ease. The Trainer 40 did have symmetrical wings though. I would venture to say that you would have an easier time with rolls as well as reduce roll coupling from rudder inputs if you reduce the dihedral.

Good luck...

Larry