Pattern Fun / scribe / Judging

Tomanek, Wojtek tomanekw at saic-abingdon.com
Mon Sep 23 06:25:54 AKDT 2002

Ok, we spend hours and hours building the planes (or work a lot at regular
jobs and pay for someone to build the plane), setting the planes, trimming,
and then practicing, and learning our sequences.  We also need to find time
to learn the other sequences.  If there are no opportunities at local field,
pay attention to the sequences in the early rounds of a contest and maybe
that will be enough to be able to judge the last round, or at the next
contest. Use the contests to learn and not just hang out with friend.
Scribing is a good way to learn too.

As a judge one has the responsibility to the pilot being judged and others
in the contest to not only be familiar but know the sequence very well and
easily identify small but crucial errors (say in the FAI  snap followed by
point rolls in the OPPOSITE direction - wrong direction will earn you zero).
Reading the sequence is not enough, seeing it flown numerous times correctly
is a must in my book.  Eric is correct that some of the maneuver
descriptions are too long to be announced just before the maneuver without
interfering with the judging and the pilot's concentration.  My call sheet
has certain words bolded in the description and I always ask the caller to
only read the bolded stuff, so I only have to be reminded of what is coming
up but not the entire maneuver description, for instance:
      "triangle" means "triangle with two out of four point rolls"
      "square" means "square form the top with half rolls in first and third
leg"
But that is certainly not enough for the unfamiliar judge.

The bottom line is that it is the judges responsibility to KNOW the sequence
he/she is judging.  If you are asked to judge and you are not familiar with
the sequence - tell the CD that you are not comfortable judging this class,
he will find someone else.  In the past I have declined to judge FAI when I
was not familiar with the sequence.  If I cannot judge to the best of my
abilities because I do not know the sequence I do not want to judge and
should not be allowed either - there are no excuses on this issue.

Wojtek