Tuned pipe or muffler with large 2-Strokes?

Keith Black tkeithb at attbi.com
Fri Sep 20 23:50:40 AKDT 2002

I'd like to hear some feedback on running tuned pipes vs. mufflers on the large 2-stroke engines such as the OS 1.40RX, Webra 1.45 and Bully 1.45.

What I've understood is that these large engines have plenty of power running just a muffler without a tuned pipe, and by not running a tuned pipe the throttle response should be smoother and not so "peaky". I'd think the smoother throttle response would make flying pattern much easier. Certainly one of the benefits of 4-strokes is the instant throttle response with no spin-up time. It seems as though using a pipe would just aggravate the spin-up issue with 2-strokes.

However, in reading some of the messages lately I see that people are still running tuned pipes on these engines. For example, under the "Webra Bragging" thread Matt indicated that he is running a Webra 1.45 with an OS/Hatori tuned pipe and it flies very well.

I'd really appreciate hearing everyone's experiences relating to this issue.

Thanks,
Keith Black