Li-Ion packs

Ron Van Putte vanputte at nuc.net
Wed Sep 11 06:53:09 AKDT 2002

Jerry Budd wrote:

> I know that the DuraLight folks are putting some circuitry into their
> battery packs to eliminate overcharging as an issue.  However, that
> extra circuitry introduces additional failure modes, which may be what
> we are starting to hear about on this (and other) lists.  I personally
> don't think it's really necessary, and in fact it may actually cause
> more problems than it solves.

Jerry is partially correct.  The Duralite Plus Li-Ion battery packs do
have a voltage cutoff device.  However, the Duralite Plus Li-Ion
chargers also have a voltage cutoff device.  The charger's is set at 8.4
volts and the one in the pack is at 8.7 volts.  This is a safety
feature, so one will cut off if the other doesn't.  It's unlikely that
both will fail at the same time.

Ron Van Putte

# discussion-request at nsrca.org