Li-Ion packs

Jerry Budd jbudd at QNET.COM
Tue Sep 10 22:00:18 AKDT 2002

Hi Verne,

There is an indicator light but it operates a bit differently than
what most people are used to.

It appears that the charger is a constant voltage charger, which
means that the amount of current flow into the battery pack is
proportional (but not linearly proportional) to the difference
between the voltage level of the battery pack vs the set (more likely
requlated) voltage put out by the charger.  The greater the voltage
difference, the greater the current flow into the battery pack.
Initially there is a relatively high current flowing into the battery
which decreases as the voltage of the pack increases.  Eventually
(about 2 hours for a fully discharged pack) the voltage of the pack
(given the pack is healthy) rises to the same voltage output level of
the charger, at which point there is ZERO current flow into the pack,
and you are done.

As far as how to tell when the pack is fully charged?  If you connect
a pack that has had some amount of usage, the indicator light (really
a diode) on the charger will glow red.  As the pack voltage comes up,
the current flow tapers off somewhat, and the indicator light changes
to a red-yellow hue, then to a yellow color, then to a yellow-green
hue, and then finally it goes completely green (indicating no current
is flowing and a fully charged battery pack).

The only flaw in the system is that when the charger is connected to
a 12v power source, the light glows green, whether a battery pack IS
CONNECTED OR NOT!  Why?  There's no current flowing through the diode
to make it change color.  Obviously this creates a concern as to how
can you tell that you actually have a good connection between the
charger and the battery pack.  What I do is make sure that I see the
diode change color when I connect the charger to the charge jack.  If
I don't see a color change, I either have a battery which is still
fully charged (not likely - check it with a digital voltmeter with a
0.5 to 1 amp load), or I don't have a good connection.  If I see the
diode change color as described above I know it's charging.

Now, can you leave the charger hooked up to the battery pack
indefinitely?  In theory, yes.  In practice, maybe (you still need to
exercise the pack once in a while).  Bern suggests NOT to leave it
hooked up.  I have left mine on for as much as a week or more with no
effect (as far as I can tell).  Your mileage may vary.

The cool part of all this is that the charger is essentually a fast
charger in that it initially puts out a lot of current at the
beginning, and then tapers off to a trickle, without any really fancy
circuitry involved.  This is a good thing as simpler directly
translates into increased reliability (assuming reasonably high
quality components are used).  The drawback is that if you have a
"bad" battery pack, the voltage of the battery pack MAY NOT come up,
causing the current flow to remain high, and you could "cook" a set
of batteries (and maybe an airplane).  I think this type of failure
mode is extremely unlikely.  A more likely scenario is that the
(compromised) pack never does quite reach peak voltage, the charger
continues to put out a small amount of current (which probably
doesn't cause much of anything to happen), and you (hopefully) notice
that the charge light never quite reaches a full green color (which
tells you something is not right).  You then check the pack voltage
with that 1 amp load VOM I mentioned, and realize the pack is maybe
not doing so well.  I think that's a pretty graceful failure mode,
and it's certainly one I can live with.

I know that the DuraLight folks are putting some circuitry into their
battery packs to eliminate overcharging as an issue.  However, that
extra circuitry introduces additional failure modes, which may be
what we are starting to hear about on this (and other) lists.  I
personally don't think it's really necessary, and in fact it may
actually cause more problems than it solves.

Jerry

--
Jerry Budd
mailto:jbudd at qnet.com