More on 40/60/90 Pattern

randy hatfield randy10926 at earthlink.net
Sat Sep 7 16:04:03 AKDT 2002

Well, I finally got around to weighting the Venus today and tried some
different props on the Saito 72.

Right now the Venus 40 weighs 5 1/3 pounds.  It is a little heavier than
normal, as I lost the stock prop nuts/spinner for the Saito 72 due to a lean
out. I can tell as it is more nose heavy than before.  Anyway I would guess
at a 5 1/4 pounds for the normal weight.  This is reasonable for a 40 sized
ARF.

I fly Magnum YS blend which is 22/20 fuel with this engine.  I was flying
with an APC 12X8.  I got 9860 RPM on the ground.  With this prop the Venus
is very fast and you have to fly fast to keep the energy level up.  On the
stall turn with full roll and half square loop with half roll, you are
running out of energy at the top.  P-factor becomes very high and keeping
the plane from yawing left is very difficult.

I tried out a Bolly clubman series 13.5X6 this evening.  I got 9660 on the
ground.  Lost 200 RPM; but gained a much better flying plane.   The plane
flies a lot slower on this prop; and the engine idles better.  This
translate to much more constant speed during the routine and more time
between maneuvers.  I still have enough energy in the stall turn with full
run and half square with half roll to still continue in straight vertical
flight after the roll.    Vertical is still not unlimited but enough for the
intermediate routine and more than enough for sportsman.

I plan of flying the 13.5X6 as my main prop on the plane from now and use
the 12X8 for my windy day prop when more speed is needed.

I is a very good combo for someone starting out in pattern.  They could fly
it in sportmans with standard servos and an OS46FX to try pattern out.  Then
move up to a for stroke and better servos if they like pattern.  If they do
not like pattern then they still have a very nice burn holes in the sky
plane.

Randy Hatfield
AMA 453495
NSRCA 2422