Fixed gear vs. retracts

s.vannostrand at kodak.com s.vannostrand at kodak.com
Fri Sep 6 09:17:40 AKDT 2002

That's only a rough landing in my book.

Woodward James R Civ 412 TW/DRP <James.Woodward2 at edwards.af.mil>
Sent by: discussion-request at nsrca.org
09/05/2002 05:27 PM
Please respond to discussion

        To:     "'discussion at nsrca.org'" <discussion at nsrca.org>
        cc:
        Subject:        RE: Fixed gear vs. retracts

I've been flying Ken's Phase One here in D7.  The gear have held up just
fine.  In fact, at the Sacramento contest, I basically had either a
serviously BAD landing, or out right crash, after a dead stick from a very
poor position.  When heading into the field somewhat down wind, one wheel
pant grabbed the grass and the plane carwheeled - amongst other stuff. One
wire was bent, one axle was turned 90 degrees (axle was bolt on type for
retracts).  Wing tube was bent, stab broke loose, rudder servo gears
stripped, fuselage cracked-up a little, broke prop.  This was the second
time the gear saved the wings, and prevented worse damage.  First incident
was with some radio interfenece and a forced landing.  Again, gear help
reduce other effects.  If you don't mind the transportation, the gear are
great.  Landings don't bounce much either.

Jim W.