Fixed gear vs. retracts

Glen Watson Glen.Watson at aspentech.com
Wed Sep 4 13:02:44 AKDT 2002

Keith,

I have experience flying the same design (Hydeout) with retracts and fixed gear.  IMHO there is no appreciable difference in flying characteristics of one over the other.  However judged landings in the AMA classes is something to consider.  There is a higher probability with fixed gear to bounce landings, which will affect scores.

To me the positives for fixed gear such as, low maintenance, extended wheel life (Dave Brown foam tires on pavement), ruff field capability, installation, visual queue to name a few out weight the scored landing issue.  Landing better or flying F3A fixes that.

Glen Watson