bureaucratic organization!

Bob Pastorello rcaerobob at cox.net
Sat Oct 26 04:00:53 AKDT 2002

    For a very long time, I have wondered in a philosophical way, "Why change Pattern?"  When one considers the drop in/drop out rate (has anyone EVER collected the data?? I offerred several times to do data collection and analysis for exactly this issue, was rejected.  AMA IT folks said they couldn't abstract the Form 10's to provide the counts of contests, participants by class) it seems that a good question would be "WHY make broad changes to the first three classes?"
    The answers (if they were ever provided lucidly) was "we need a stepping stone approach to prepare fliers for  Masters/FAI " .... Of course, pattern fliers as a whole weren't ASKED if that was what they perceived the goals of the game to BE!!  Could have been a simple, one question survey =  "Is the intent of Precision RC Aerobatics to prepare participants for the challenges of the Masters/FAI classes?"
    Sort of like - "What is the PURPOSE of Precision RC Aerobatics?"  You can get a lot of definitions, and would, if that question was asked, I'd bet.  It's a personal thing, with a lot of variation.  Many likely would say "be challenged with requirements of the classes for my skill level, and have a lot of fun, lots of participants, enjoyable contests, and not go broke doing it"
    Maybe the NEXT NSRCA survey should have some of these more general questions to shape the future...before we haul off and reinvent patterns and sequences, change difficulty levels which have an unknown impact on participation, and add to the already bulging rule list, MAYBE - JUST MAYBE we should ask the simpler and more meaningful questions.

    Has anyone besides me EVER been curious to learn the REAL reasons behind people dropping out after Advanced????  Or Intermediate???  Those questions deserve some answers, and as an organization, we continue to ask INSIDE our group....what's wrong with that picture?
    Ask any marketing oriented person - to increase "customer base" or "customer satisfaction" - you ask those who AREN'T either a customer OR satisfied.  But once WERE.
    Maybe we could find a way to delve into that "why did you leave pattern?" question before making wholesale changes NEXT time round.

    Last comment - Low responses to surveys, whatever their purpose and content, is indicative of the relative importance to the consumer.  You can bet that if a person  A) really BELIEVED their response could make a difference and B) that the questions were meaningful to THEM, you'd see mailboxes bulging with surveys.

Bob Pastorello
NSRCA 199, AMA 46373
rcaerobob at cox.net
www.rcaerobats.net