Masters 2005 Options

John Ferrell johnferrell at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 23 15:09:55 AKDT 2002

You bring up an interesting point about sequences. I have felt that we go about them all wrong. I would like to see a set of criteria for all considered sequences.

Something like:
They should be flyable by the current contestants.
They should be judgable by the available judges.
They should not be equipment contests.
They should be sufficiently difficult to determine a winner.
They should not be airplane crashers.
They should not challange typical field limitations.

John Ferrell
6241 Phillippi Rd
Julian NC 27283
Phone: (336)685-9606
Dixie Competition Products
NSRCA 479 AMA 4190  W8CCW
"My Competition is Not My Enemy"

  The goal was to produce  difficult sequence that represents the skills of a top level National class and at the same time give a sequence that is tough to do with consistency but not so difficult and abstract that it will chase people away. The main goal being up here at 6000ft is to not require huge amount of power as were presented in the Sequence submitted by the NSRCA. The Reverse Avalanche and the Diamond Cuban 8 thing are just such maneuvers. These specific maneuvers although may not be an issue for you guys down lower in elevation become a problem up here...especially with older plane designs with std 120 sized motors. See many people up here are still flying Elans, Ariels, or even the 60 sized birds and with this power hungry trend are being told to upgrade their motors, and planes or get out.

  I know this is not the intent of the sequence designers. I'm not complaining about the work and the effort that was made to give us the choices we have....Rather we are giving the pattern community a choice......

  Another big issue with the NSRCA proposal is the new maneuvers like the Reverse Avalanche.....This adds load to the judging pool. We are now going to have maneuvers never seen before. This requires some address in a judging seminar...and what about the local flyers that rarely attend a judging seminar. We felt that putting maneuvers in that had different roll combos or different starting attitudes were changes a judge could make on the fly and apply the same criteria he is already applying. Rather than subtle things like the center stall turn not being in the direction of the flight. What if the pilot makes a bad choice for direction now your going to penalize him for the spin and for the center stall turn. My question is how many pilots that have not attended a judging school realize that if you stall turn the wrong way on that maneuver its a ZERO!

  We tried to eliminate some of this confusion and stick with a sequence that was easier to judge giving the contestant judge a better feeling of confidence because the sequence has elements similar to his own sequence. Yet the difficulty of maneuvers is certainly present and will help to separate the wheat from the chaff at a National Championship event. On the other hand a new Advanced guy is not learning new thing all over again to be changed on him again in 2 years.