Masters 2005 Options

Troy Newman troy_newman at msn.com
Wed Oct 23 10:18:53 AKDT 2002

Hello all,

I want to let all of you know that a rules change proposal was submitted by the Oct 1 deadline to change the Masters 2005 sequence to the following:

1.    Takeoff            (1)
2.    Reverse Cuban w/Full rolls (U)(5)
3.    Stall Turn with 1/2 rolls    (2)
4.    Two 2/4pt rolls reversed    (D)(4)
5.    Immelman w/ full roll exit Inv   (2)
6.    Sq Loop from the top 2/4pts exit Inv (U)(5)
7.    Full roll-Half loop (Split S with Full roll) (2)
8.    2 Rolls in Opposite Direction  (D)(4)
9.    Humpty 3/4 up, option top(push or pull), 3/4 dn    (3)
10.  Triangle 1/2's up and down, and full on top (U)(5)
11.    Figure 9 with 2/2 pts up exit Inv    (2)
12.    Vertical 8 pilots option mid entry exit Inv     (D)(3)
13.    1/2 sq Loop    (1)
14.    Avalanche (U)(3)
15.    Humpty Bump with Pilots Options   (3)
16.    8pt Roll        (D)(4)
17.    1/2 square loop w/full roll exit Inv    (2)
18.    45 down 1-1/2 Negative Snap    (U)(3)
19.    Top Hat 3 of 4 up, 3/4 down   exit Inverted (4)
20.    Eight Sided Outside Loop  (D)(5)
21.    Half outside loop to top    (1)
22.    2-1/2 turn spin 2/4pt roll out   (U) (4)
23.    Landing    (1)

Total KF = 69

This was done to give the members of the AMA contest board and the members of the Pattern Community another choice in the sequence battle. I know many were not happy with the 3 choices given in the Rules survey. The resulting sequence was flown and tested out on Advanced flyers moving up to Masters as well as about a  dozen Current Masters flyers.
The goal was to produce  difficult sequence that represents the skills of a top level National class and at the same time give a sequence that is tough to do with consistency but not so difficult and abstract that it will chase people away. The main goal being up here at 6000ft is to not require huge amount of power as were presented in the Sequence submitted by the NSRCA. The Reverse Avalanche and the Diamond Cuban 8 thing are just such maneuvers. These specific maneuvers although may not be an issue for you guys down lower in elevation become a problem up here...especially with older plane designs with std 120 sized motors. See many people up here are still flying Elans, Ariels, or even the 60 sized birds and with this power hungry trend are being told to upgrade their motors, and planes or get out.
I know this is not the intent of the sequence designers. I'm not complaining about the work and the effort that was made to give us the choices we have....Rather we are giving the pattern community a choice......

Another big issue with the NSRCA proposal is the new maneuvers like the Reverse Avalanche.....This adds load to the judging pool. We are now going to have maneuvers never seen before. This requires some address in a judging seminar...and what about the local flyers that rarely attend a judging seminar. We felt that putting maneuvers in that had different roll combos or different starting attitudes were changes a judge could make on the fly and apply the same criteria he is already applying. Rather than subtle things like the center stall turn not being in the direction of the flight. What if the pilot makes a bad choice for direction now your going to penalize him for the spin and for the center stall turn. My question is how many pilots that have not attended a judging school realize that if you stall turn the wrong way on that maneuver its a ZERO!
We tried to eliminate some of this confusion and stick with a sequence that was easier to judge giving the contestant judge a better feeling of confidence because the sequence has elements similar to his own sequence. Yet the difficulty of maneuvers is certainly present and will help to separate the wheat from the chaff at a National Championship event. On the other hand a new Advanced guy is not learning new thing all over again to be changed on him again in 2 years.

As for the Annex of maneuvers I'm confused. The survey results show that the NSRCA membership wants the sequences changed about every 3 years,,,,,that is great because the AMA rules cycle is 3 years. looks like its an already done deal! Don't need an Annex to do that for us. The contest Board has been very favorable to us in the past with issues that need to be solved. Like changing the Masters Sequence in 2000 with an URP.....I believe the contest board and its members have the pulse of the Pattern community. Many are active and veteran members of the contest community. I also think they are starving for some input from you! the NSRCA results of the survey are not simple rubber stamp rules changes and you need to voice your opinion!

If you are interested in the maneuver descriptors please let me know I will email them to you. Again this is not a bash on the NSRCA process of the results obtained...rather its an option and we feel a very good option.

Troy NewmanGet more from the Web.  FREE MSN Explorer download : http://explorer.msn.com