Servo

John Gausby humptybumpty at earthlink.net
Mon Oct 14 07:17:21 AKDT 2002

Alan.....Go to    www.horizonhobbies.com    Click on the JR logo at the top
right of the page. You can get specs on most everything that JR makes for the
States and Canada.

Not sure who is the Canadian distributer....Horizon should be able to direct
you.

The two parts of a servo that normally wear are the potentiometer (pot) and
motor. The pot is usually the first component of a servo to wear out. It often
gets dirty from the metal wiper constantly rubbing on the carbon element
(disc). It will cause eratic output arm movement. The motor will lose power
over time (depending on the servo loads) and servo speed and torque will
decrease. High vibration will cause servos to wear faster than normal.

It's impossible to predict servo life because of different loads and vibration
levels. ie....servos in a sailplane usually last much longer than servos in a
YS140 four stroke pattern plane.

The basic 507 is often replaced when it gets worn. The cost differences
between repair and a new servo are minimal. The 4131 coreless servo can be
seviced in many cases below the price of a new servo.

When in doubt.....send your entire radio in and have it checked and serviced
for the next season. Transmitters and receivers also need servicing....They
will drift off frequency over time...........John Gausby     Richmond , Va.

# discussion-request at nsrca.org