Wing twist, slightly off topic

Rcmaster199 at aol.com Rcmaster199 at aol.com
Wed Oct 2 16:01:16 AKDT 2002

In a message dated 10/2/2002 10:18:41 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
getterflash at yahoo.com writes:

> Subj:Wing twist, slightly off topic
> Date:10/2/2002 10:18:41 AM Eastern Daylight Time
> From:<A HREF="mailto:getterflash at yahoo.com">getterflash at yahoo.com</A>
> Sent from the Internet
>

> I recently finished an ARF scale project. During the
> initial flights, I had to put in a lot of left aileron
> trim to sustain level flight. The wing is a two piece
> affair joined with a heavy-walled aluminum tube and
> located with a steel pin. The root ribs of the wings
> are aligned, so there is obviously a twist built into
> one or both wing panels. Does anyone have a method to
> &#34;untwist&#34; a completed wing panel? The
> construction appears to be a standard &#34;D&#34;
> tube, sheeted up to the spar, open bay behind the
> spar. They are covered with some kind to heat shrink
> film.   Thanks.
>
> =====
> Bob Kane
> getterflash at yahoo.com

Bob,

If the panel has "wash-in" twist, (tip leading edge positive relative to
trailing edge), prop up the TIP trailing edge and push down on the leading
edge, while reheating the film. It takes some time and several tries, but you
can get a couple degrees out of the built up structure this way. For wash-out
(LE negative relative to TE), reverse the steps

Matt Kebabjian