NSRCA REPRESENTATIVES

Henderson,Eric eric.henderson at gartner.com
Wed Oct 2 09:27:38 AKDT 2002

I was writing my farewell column for the K-Factor and I was listing what I
wanted to get done since 1999, and  this section made me pause. Primarily
because it would fix so many problems of then and now. At the time, I could
not get any across-the-board buy-in from the board or the district VP's.

I wonder what it would be like today if we could have implemented it?

Jan 1999

Excerpt from document to the NSRCA Leadership Team,

Hi everyone,
Please sharpen your pencils!
I need your collective help with a bunch of important items.  If you could
spend a little time to give me your thoughts it will greatly help achieve a
better "grass roots" operation.
Between us we have a huge amount of experience and knowledge of pattern and
its issues. This document is a chance for you to get more involved with the
direction of the NSRCA, and an opportunity to tell the board what it needs
to know.
  I know this is a lot like work but you will be shaping the NSRCA so please
give it a your best shot!
Best Regards,
Eric (Henderson)

1. To grow we need many things, but most of all we need a much more
effective network.
To this end I would like the District VP's to implement the program
described below.
(This is only a piece of a larger program, but it is one that you can start
on immediately, while the
rest is being developed.)

NSRCA FIELD REPRESENTATIVE - PROGRAM. - This is a new program, for all of
the district VP's, to implement. We need to have more people at the flying
sites who will promote pattern. As VP's you don't have enough time in the
day or miles left in your cars to reach all parts of your district on a
regular basis. This is a directive empowering and requesting you, as
District VP's, to do the following:

a) Appoint a suitable number of NSRCA Field Representatives per State. For
example MA might need one, but TX might need six.

b) Appoint new NSRCA Field Representatives in the next couple of months so
that they are in place before the flying season starts.

c) Appoint as many NSRCA Field Representatives as you need in your district
- There is no real limit.

d) Brief the NSRCA Field Representatives and organize them to both gather
and disseminate NSRCA information.

e) Choose new NSRCA Field Representatives in December. Instead of new reps
you can also renew the ones who are working out well and are keen to
continue.

Note: These appointments do not replace AVP's, nor do they get any free
membership or a column allotment in the K-Factor.

General description of NSRCA Field Representative roles.
Primary role is to be a communications extension of the District VP:-
i) Promote pattern in local area, say 5O-100 mile radius
ii) Represent and present pattern to local club meetings
iii) Show pattern at field situations, flight demo's, box definitions, etc.
iv) Encourage clubs to have aerobatic fun-fly's (more on this later)
v) Pass on pattern information to club newsletter editors
vi) Attend local pattern contests; take notes and pictures for VP
vii) Carry and distribute NSRCA membership forms etc. Recruit new members.

The NSRCA will produce supporting materials and promotion programs for the
NSRCA Field rep's and will keep them informed of all of the latest NSRCA
developments and available materials etc.

Please help me get this program going. It is a young program so you have
plenty of opportunity to influence how it grows.
Regards
Eric (Henderson)

 AND SOME FELL ON STONY GROUND...

Feedback

Nor do we have a budget for their expenses, so that needs to be made clear.
Also needs to be clearer on what they do - "gather (For the VP) and
disseminate (to local members) NSRCA information" is as important as
anything else, though acting as ambassadors (per your note below) is
obviously good stuff too. :)
THE VP'S AND AVP'S ARE YOUR GRASS ROOTS NETWORK, AND ARE ALREADY IN PLACE.
EVERY PATTERN FLYER WHO BELONGS TO THE NSRCA IS ALREADY A FIELD
REPRESENTATIVE.  THEIR BEHAVIOR AND ACTIONS AT CLUB MEETINGS AND THE FLYING
FIELD WILL EITHER ADVANCE OR HURT OUR CAUSE.  HOW THEY CHOOSE TO CONDUCT
THEMSELVES IS UP TO THEM.  A CODE OF CONDUCT THAT WOULD PROMOTE OUR ACTIVITY
COULD BE DEVELOPED, AND SUGGESTED TO THE MEMBERSHIP.  I AM CATEGORICALLY
OPPOSED TO ANY CHANGES THAT WOULD INCREASE THE NUMBER OF BODIES REQUIRED TO
OPERATE THE NSRCA.  WE ARE A SMALL AND WIDELY DISPERSED GROUP.  IT IS HARD
ENOUGH TO GET PEOPLE TO BE VP's AND AVP'S, WITHOUT ADDING A WHOLE ADDITIONAL
LAYER OF OFFICIAL PEOPLE TO COME UP WITH.  EVERYTHING YOU HAVE LISTED IN
YOUR DESCRIPTION OF THE FIELD REPS ROLE I AGREE WITH.  THEY ARE ALSO THINGS
THAT EACH PATTERN FLYER CAN DO IF HE OR SHE CHOOSES TO.

As I stated earlier, I could not find a replacement for myself in 10 months;
how am I going to appoint people to take on these responsibilities?  I don't
know enough qualified people in the district that would be willing or
enthusiastic enough to take this on, on an "official" basis.
That being said, let me say this: These folks are already in place. Most of
the CD's in my district already promote pattern by CDing contests. That may
sound a little shallow but hear me out. Just about to a man (or woman), they
run Novice clinics, help their fellow pattern flyer and any newcomers.  They
also help out none pattern flyers; which does more to help promote pattern
than anything else we could do. And many of these people also are involved
with local clubs at many levels, including pattern demos at fun-flys and
what not.  If we have reps that go around to local sights cheering pattern,
but turn their backs when the rubbermaid ARF flying Sunday flyer asks them
to tune an engine, they aren't doing us any favors.  I've seen so called
"pattern flyers" do more to hurt pattern just by proclaiming they were
pattern flyers, than anything any "field rep" could repair in a month of
Sundays.  This is where I have a problem with all of this. I can not think
of enough people that are qualified for this, that aren't already doing more
than their share. Making it "official" may very well turn them off. People
will take the responsibility, but they don't want it thrust upon them.
Again, just my opinion.

3. I have been thinking about appointing a person per AMA class, to be the
"point guard" for each class that we fly.  I am also considering appointing
a three-? or four-? person team to recommend to the NSRCA board how we can
improve FAI in the USA. Both the AMA Class reps and the FAI development team
would have basically the same charter.

CLASS REPS
Be a focal point for all class issues.
Gather information for subsequent change proposals.
Be an expert on the Class and rules interpretations.
Write articles on Class issues, explanations on a periodic basis for the
K-Factor.
Produce examples of maneuver errors and how they should be scored in that
Class.
Develop new schedules for when rules cycle changes occur.

# discussion-request at nsrca.org