AMA Magazine Article - the paragraph

Mike Hester kerlock at attbi.com
Tue Oct 1 11:29:10 AKDT 2002

I can answer that one for D3.

As a relative newcomer, I can say with no reservations that from the very
first contest, I have been treated with the utmost respect and comraderie.
Everyone, including veteran master and FAI pilots, took time to help me and
make me feel at home. I didn't even have to ask, they just stepped over and
made sure I was having fun and learning every flight.

I've been to almost all of the D3 contests this year, (8), and all of the
people I met were great folks. Not a single jerk, that I can remember.

I think it's each competitior's obligation to help the new guys, even if
they're the competition. I try and make sure they aren't standing there
wondering what to do, and I try and give as much advice as they want. Even
if they didn't bring a plane and are just curious.

The face of the NSRCA begins and ends with each and every one of us. We
should all take personal responsibility to make sure new pilots enjoy
themselves enough to come back again and again. I have to wonder the full
story behind that guy's comments if he felt so excluded at a pattern
contest. I'd bet he wasn't in D3 lately.

-Mike Hester