PCM fail safe advice.

Henderson,Eric eric.henderson at gartner.com
Tue Oct 1 07:40:39 AKDT 2002

There is a big difference between "Failsafe" and "channel-lock" (or hold).

In Failsafe you decide in advance what the servo positions should be. In
channel-lock the servos stay at their last setting until they hear from the
TX again.

I NEVER use channel lock on the primary controls. Failsafe on my radio gives
an automatic low throttle. I set it to have level ailerons, some up elevator
and neutral rudder. Only with retracts do I use Channel-lock. (Gear stays
down if, for example, in the pits, and stays up if flying - it's usually
better to "land" in the grass with the gear up.)

Some radios arrive with the default PCM set at channel lock. Some do not
have low-throttle hard-coded into the failsafe option.

Both and all have the potential for a high throttle runaway unless
"Failsafe" is selected and prescribed settings dialed. You could be
operating a potential disaster and not even know about it. Please check your
radio failsafe options NOW!

Regards,

Eric.