Flying Site Background

s.vannostrand at kodak.com s.vannostrand at kodak.com
Mon Nov 25 06:40:39 AKST 2002

Buddy,
we got a 30 year lease on our corps of engineer property by making this
pitch: We will manage the site, improve the site with regular improvements
(subject to your review and approval), and maintain a safety code for RC
flying.  As long as we hold up our end, they have been holding up theirs.
At first they wanted improvements quickly, but once we got shelters and a
runway in, they've left us alone.....well up until this year with the
noise problems.  And we are still dealing with that issue.

The only hitch, and it is minor, is that at first they wanted to let it be
a public flypark.  We felt we couldn't maintain safety this way and asked
for the ability to require club membership, club certification (we have a
checkout program).  After some negotiation we got them to agree to let us
manage the field for safety purposes and we have a gate at the entrance.
However, this took a while to get the agreement.

--Lance