Mount Weight

Troy Newman troy_newman at msn.com
Thu Nov 21 12:04:00 AKST 2002

Here are the weights I have for the Various mounts Merle makes....

AR - 4oz-- Standard 140 type mount been around for years and years Requires a fuse mounted nose ring
...Isolator is like 1" thick

AR (A) - 2oz --Lightweight version or the AR has Aluminum beams and weight savings.... Isolator is about 5/8" thick

ARI-- 7oz -- The ARI mount has the nose ring incorporated...Same basic Isolator as the AR but is beefed up to accommodate the Nose ring Cantilevered from the Firewall.

ARI (A) --4oz-- Similar Isolator to the AR (A) but has the ring incorporated and beefed up for the Nose ring off the firewall also.

If you are making an AR type mount and its 5.5oz you are about 35-40% over weight.

and really overweight compared to the AR (A) that mount at 2oz is really the best solution for a normal Pattern install.....You can use a 1/8" aircraft ply firewall and a Fuse mounted nose ring. Save lots of weight.

You should get the real deal

With the AR(A)....That equals a 3.5oz savings over your home brew....On the tail that means about 6-7ozs to balance just the motor mount.....This means you can either not have to add as much weight to balance or you can build the tail lighter and save even more weight.

Troy