Focus Cooling

ronlock ronlock at comcast.net
Sun Nov 17 07:28:18 AKST 2002

In my experience, a realtively small cowl opening
directed at the cylinder and head area is sufficient.
I do add some baffeling to try and keep the intake
air directed around the cylinder and head.
My last four pattern birds (including a Focus not yet
flown) have openings about 1 1/4 inch wide and 2 inches
high. For exit air, I follow the general rule that exit
openings should be at least twice the size as entry.
This has worked fine on a YS 1.20, OS 1.40, and
ST 1.40.   (including Muncie heat at NATS)

I do not open the cheek areas- I don't thinks it
is good to let air into a cowl that doesn't directly
cool the engine.  It just competes with cooling
air for exit area.   I know there is a current
interest in cooling air for rear bearings.   For
2 and 4 strokes that flood the crankcase with
fuel/air mixture, I can't (yet?) make myself
believe the rear bearing needs air cooling.

Later, Ron Lockhart