carbon tissue

s.vannostrand at kodak.com s.vannostrand at kodak.com
Wed Nov 13 05:19:06 AKST 2002

Hey THANKS Matt,
You are absolutely right about the carbon tissue.  Last night I made two
identical panels from the same piece of balsa and sheeted one with the 0.5
oz tissue and the other with 0.75 oz glass cloth.  The results are
consistent with your experience and not what I expected at all.  I expected
the 0.75 oz cloth to be heavier than the 0.5 oz cloth - before epoxy.  This
is not true.  The 0.5 oz classification is wrong because they both weighed
the same per square yard (17.8 vs 18 grams).

The CF tissue soaked up resin and increased in thickness.  It took 80% more
resin to wet out. I didn't bag the samples, but I scraped and absorbed all
the excess resin I could.  This is very effective in minimizing resin with
the glass, but the tissue was like a sponge and I couldn't get the resin
out.  I have exact measurements in my notes, but the point is clear - the
0.5 oz carbon fiber tissue is no good for a surfacing veil.

Since I have several yards of it, is there anything its good for?

BTW, yes I am the thick headed dunce you told about MRL.  I even have their
site bookmarked.  I must have slept since the Nats.  Thanks for the
reminder, I'll revisit this.

--Lance
=======================

Yes I have used the material, Lance.

It absorbs the epoxy like crazy and produces a heavy product. The good(??)
thing is you can sand the hell out of the stuff to remove the "fuzzies"
except the black goes EVERY where.

The thinner tissue is better; more like medium silkspan.

If you bagged the epoxy coated carbon then it would work better, and be
stiff as hell. Of course if you honeycombed your wings, that would not be a
good idea either.

Or maybe it would be: it would look like the dimples of a golfball,
enlarged fifty fold. It would turbulate like crazy and float like a glider,
but with lots of drag.

No seriously, FYI, I am using some polyester tissue that I found on the
Model Research Labs site. It is ligther than the .5 carbon material and as
thin as lite silkspan. My new  wings and stab for Alliance are covered with
it. Did  I mention this to you b4 or was it Gray?

Matt

# discussion-request at nsrca.org