Weight Limit problem long

RUDDERCABL at aol.com RUDDERCABL at aol.com
Tue Nov 12 18:31:00 AKST 2002

In a message dated 11/12/02 7:39:01 AM Eastern Standard Time, wb_akle at msn.com
writes:

<< Robert, if we raised it to 6 Kg we would still have this email
entertainment
 to raise it to 7 Kg! and it is entertaining, with a new idea poping up from
 time to time.

 Wade >>

Wade,  I am convinced that if the weight limit were raised ,the next assault
would be to increase the size limit . The current technology that is used to
keep pattern planes light will not go away. The technology would only be used
to explore pushing
the absolute limits of the 2 meter box and to make fuselages grotestly large
!
Those who are inclined ,and have the means to , certainly won't stop
development on new technology for even lighter materials and more powerful
engines.

Many use the argument that raising the weight limit will make pattern more
accessable to the sport flyers . BULL !  It was tried several years ago and
was a complete failure .

Their next argument is that the technology is driving the cost too high . The
answer certainly is not to change the rules where technology would have a
larger breeding ground. Instead , how about a rule that prohibits carbon
fibre or kevlar materials or
fuel injection ( with or without electronic aid ) and limit radios to five
channels with no
mixing aids at all. We might as well sign our own warrant to the firing squad.

These issues do not keep sport flyers out of pattern . Desire and dicipline
do. The average sport flyers don't have either . It is far easier to go to
the field and play than
to practice . There are to many other distractions in todays world than to
dedicate themselves to the rigors of competition.

In my opinion , some are using the weight issue to guide pattern in the
direction they wish pattern to go. If they spent as much effort living within
the rules , as they do trying to change them , there wouldn't be any issue !
Of course , then we would lose a source of entertainment , wouldn't we Wade ?

Robert Gainey
# discussion-request at nsrca.org