HELP: glassing experiment

s.vannostrand at kodak.com s.vannostrand at kodak.com
Tue Nov 12 13:04:37 AKST 2002

From: Lance VanNostrand

I'm glassing some wings.  Normally I do this with the traditional 3/4 oz
glass cloth.  I just purchased a roll of 0.5 oz carbon tissue to experiment
with.  My hope is that the use of tissue will eliminate the weave and
simplify the process.  I expected 0.5 oz carbon tissue to also be lighter
than 0.75 oz glass cloth but after examining the tissue, I'm not so sure
anymore.  It has the "feel" of cheap toilet paper.  In other words, it has
some thickness and toughness.  It is light, as expected, as dry cloth, but
I'm concerned that it will absorb more epoxy resin than the glass cloth and
be heavier in the end.

Does anyone have experience with using carbon fiber or glass tissue on
airplanes?  I may have to make some test panels if no one can help.

Thanks,
--Lance

# discussion-request at nsrca.org