Weight Limit problem long

Bill Glaze billglaze at triad.rr.com
Mon Nov 11 11:11:01 AKST 2002

I'd say probably about 2/3 what it cost for the competition setup.  Save a few
bucks on a smaller engine, fewer channels on the radio, servo cost remained the
same, if you built from a kit, about the same cost as a plans-built airplane.
To get really dirt-cheap, you built a rudder-only Mambo, (or something similar)
with a single channel radio with a Bonner escapement; deluxe in rudder-only
meant a Bonner compound escapement with a Bramco throttle control.  It gave you
either full throttle or a somewhat reliable idle; nothing in between.  BTW: a
Bramco throttle cost $5 at that time.  Worked pretty good, actually.
Cost for the setup above: about $65-70, and, within that class, (class I, or as
it was more commonly called, "rudder only" ) you were competitive.
BTW: for the record, I'm talking about a time frame ca. 1954.

Bill Glaze

# discussion-request at nsrca.org