K-Factor Pattern an invisible group

Dan Curtis warrior523 at mchsi.com
Fri Nov 1 22:06:51 AKST 2002

Greg, I fully agree with your thoughts on Pattern Primers.  I had one at my
club.  I was hoping to get 2 or 3 to show up and try it.  It was placed on
the club calendar at the beginning of the year and mentioned at every
meeting.  I had 8 sign up for the half day primer/contest.  I used computer
scoring and had the luxury of some experienced pattern judges to help.  It
was a "fly what ya got" affair with emphasis placed on fun and learning what
pattern is all about.  The best part of the whole deal was 4 more people
have decided to fly some pattern.  Two, possibly 3, are getting 2 meter
planes ready for next year and another has a new Swallow and is practicing
hard.  Then to put a little icing on the cake...the club wants to have
another one next year...and I am going to promote it out a little more
aggressively to some of the surrounding clubs.

Pattern primers work..they may start out pretty small but stay with them and
they can grow.

Dan Curtis