OS-160 pipes - GREVE

Woodward James R Civ 416 FLTS/TPS James.Woodward2 at edwards.af.mil
Fri Nov 1 07:43:20 AKST 2002

Hi Jason,
The ES 140 4 cycyle pipe with 3/4" inlet has worked on the 140 2-cycles for
many people.  I have owned two of them.  One worked perfectly, one did not.
Upon further investigation, the one that did not work had different internal
baffle locations, different hole sizes.  The effect was that I could NOT
keep that pipe on the plane, and bad engine running. Also, at the Hollister,
CA contest, another two gentleman were using this pipe on their OS 140 RXs.
One guy has VERY bad problems.  Upon investigation, these guys compared
pipes, and the same problem!  They had differnet baffles location, etc.

So, I think you may be dissapointed if you install that small muffler on a
bigger engine.

I have just started running a Webra 1.45 AAR with a GREVE muffler on my 10.5
lb Advantage (fairly large airplane).  I have a Phase One with the Webra
1.45R and ES 2-cycle w/ 0.9" inlet pipe.  The new combination with the Greve
(although a thinner pipe at something like 1.5 or so inches, the first
chamber is lonnnnnnngggggg) gives incredible vertical performance.  On the
ground, the rpm is similiar to the ES, however, the GREVE combo IS A BEAST
IN THE AIR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I think this pipe is really making a difference.
I plan to try the Greve on my 1.45 R tomorrow, for a more direct comparison.
Also, there is NO hesitation when pushing from inverted to a upline.  The
2-cycle ES has a hesitation (by the way, if ANYONE knows how to get rid of
that quality, please email!).

So, the Greve weighs just over 4 oz.  I'm using the standard length MACS
header, about 3/8" gap, full length pipe.  I think this sets the first
baffle behind what Lee suggests, but I have seen no problem thus far.  .  At
a street price of $120, something to consider.  www.piedmontmodels.com

Hope this helps.
Jim W.