Hangar Flying

Ron Van Putte vanputte at nuc.net
Tue Dec 17 11:39:37 AKST 2002

Bill Glaze wrote:
> Yep.  A friend of mine on the airline (retired Lt. Colonel) flew the
> SR-71 operationally.  He's a very quiet guy!

This is off-topic too and I apologize in advance.  I was a Captain back
in the mid 1960's and was walking down a corridor in a building at
Wright-Patterson AFB, OH when the meekest looking Colonel I'd ever seen
approached in the opposite direction.  I whispered to the officer I was
with something like,  "Man, that's the most mousy Colonel I've ever
seen!".  He replied, "Oh, that's John Stapp".  For the uninitiated,
Colonel John Stapp routinely strapped himself in a rocket sled and went
blasting off down the track at speeds of up to the speed of sound to
test the effects of wind on the bodies of pilots ejecting at these speeds!

Ron Van Putte

# discussion-request at nsrca.org