Focus On Snow

Martin X. Moleski, SJ moleski at canisius.edu
Mon Dec 16 08:04:11 AKST 2002

--On Monday, December 16, 2002 11:04 AM -0500 Anthony Romano
<anthonyr105 at hotmail.com> wrote:

> I fly a lot on skis ...

I've done some snow flying.  More in my first
few years back in the hobby, less more recently.

I use cotton gloves with the tips cut off the
thumb and forefinger under a TX glove.  It
takes a while to get used to the slipperiness
of the TX when using gloves.  I can't blame
any of my crashes on the weather, however.  :o(

Having some primer helps get engines started
in the cold.  I've got some OLD FORMULA
WD-40, which used propane as a propellant.
I've also used lighter fluid.  I imagine
that auto-starting fluid would work, too,
if it is ether-based.

It is worthwhile to wax skis.  When the
conditions are right, takeoffs, landings,
and touch-and-goes are heavenly.

My buddy and I used to take "snow boards"
with us (plywood with strings attached)
to tromple out a runway when the snow would
not support the planes.  Twenty minutes of
hard labor would give us a takeoff zone that
worked very nicely.

					Marty
# discussion-request at nsrca.org