Li-ion & Nimh (long)

Jerry Budd jbudd at QNET.COM
Sun Dec 15 20:35:38 AKST 2002

Hi all,

Someone a few postings back on this thread asked what the advantages
of Li-Ion batteries were.  Well, here's my story.  I switched to
Li-Ions early last summer to try and get the Gator Giles G-202 I was
flying at the time under the 5kg weight limit for the Nats.  I had
been using a JR 1400 mAh Extra NiCad pack that weighs 4.8 oz and
which only gave me 3 flights max in Masters before I needed to fast
charge (yeah I know that's substandard capacity but I had two of
these JR Extra packs that gave nearly identical performance and I
just wasn't interested in buying any more NiCads).  I briefly
considered NiMh batteries as I could use my existing Sirius charger
but it didn't look like the weight savings were going to be that
significant over NiCads (I didn't know at the time that NiMh packs
consistently exceed their rated capacity by about 40%).  I also
didn't consider the old DuraLites (Li-Metal) as I was aware of a
growing realization among their users that they had a shelf life
problem and would die after something approaching a few hundred
flights (if even that), not to mention that they were also way too
expensive for my liking.  For many of the same reasons I also decided
against the new Li-Ion Duralites (questionable reliability, cost,
etc).  I don't usually have many competition ready pattern airplanes
in my stable (unfortunately, most of the time you can count them on
one finger) so I tend to be pretty picky about critical function,
single point failure components.

The batteries I settled on are the 2000mAh 2-cell Li-Ion pack from
Bern Furgang at http://www.superbatterypacks.com/  in Simi Valley,
CA.  It's $32 for the pack, it weights 3.2 oz (the JACCIO regulator
added ~0.3 oz if I remember correctly), and I get about 8-10 flights
with a full suite of JR digitals.  The charger is a modified 12v cell
phone charger ($28) that appears to be constant current output.
According to Jim Oddino, the modification Bern made was to add a
trimming pot to the circuit to fine tune the output voltage to
something around 8.4 volts.  The only way I can see this charger
overtemping the batteries due to charging (which is usually the
expected significant failure mode), is if the battery pack was fully
shorted out to begin with (i.e. dead), and in that case I think the
3A fuse in the charger would open and halt the process before
anything significantly bad happens.

I have been using this pack/charger setup since late June, Jim
Woodward since March, and Jim Oddino a lot longer than that (Jim
Oddino is very familiar with this company's charger - he bought a set
and then took it apart to see how it worked... typical Oddino!  : ).
The concensus among our small group seems to be that we are all
pretty happy with this battery/charger system.  Other opinions may
vary.  BTW - Bern also sells NiCad and NiMH packs, and at very
reasonable prices too.

I think the issue here (if I understand it correctly) is that Li-Ion
cells fail due to overtemping from overcharging in a much different
way than either NiCad or NiMH packs (open flame out the vent hole for
the Li-Ions vs simple outgassing with NiCad/NiMHs) which almost
guarantees a fire if/when it happens.  That is a very legitimate
concern, and well worth passing on to the masses for their
consideration.  That particular characteristic makes the design and
fail-safe functionality of the charger of critical importance when
charging Li-Ion packs.

I do not have any reason to think that there is any significant
difference between the cells that Bern uses and the cells used in the
new Duralite packs (I suspect that the cells are in fact the same).
Obviously there is a substantial difference in the charger systems
and how they are used and/or perform.  Based on the latest
information at hand it would seem that the Li-Ion battery
charger/system being marketed by Duralite has (or had, maybe they've
been fixed?) some problems that need addressing.

One last point, in case someone is wondering - I am only sponsored by
myself so my reasons for stating the above are neither political nor
financial, only technical and (to a much greater degree) safety
driven.  Back in Sept I was asked by Eric Henderson to consider
writing an article for publication in the K-Factor or Model Aviation
on this subject.  I didn't commit to it at that time, but may do so
once I get around to validating my observations with some solid
engineering quality data.

Sorry this posting ran so long, but some topics just can't be fully
discussed in a couple of paragraphs.

Thx, Jerry

FWIW - For reference here's an exchange of eMail's on this subject
posted to the list back in Sept '02 on this topic:

--
Jerry Budd
mailto:jbudd at qnet.com
# discussion-request at nsrca.org