Li-ion & Nimh

Lee Davis lee at piedmontmodels.com
Sat Dec 14 08:56:10 AKST 2002

Calculated risk is the nature of our hobby.  Every time we fly a plane we're
betting that we will bring it back in one piece.  A lot of things can go
wrong and eventually do.

Acceptable risk is not a constant; it varies from person to person.  I use
Nickel-Metal batteries in my transmitters and Lithium-Ion (not
Lithium-Metal) batteries in my Pattern planes.  I am aware of the use and
charging requirements for these types of batteries and for me, the benefits
outweigh the risk.  Would I recommend them to everyone?  No.

It should be mentioned that one can burn just about any battery, even
Nickel-Cadmium.  We used to sometimes torch Nicads when I was into serious
electric car racing.  Overcharging was the norm and every so often we got a
little carried away.  Any shorted battery can quickly become the equivalent
of a soldering iron.

There's at least one horror story, sometimes many, associated with just
about every component we use.  If we had any brains we wouldn't be doing
this, a fact that only women appear to be aware of!

Lee Davis
Piedmont Models
http://www.piedmontmodels.com/

# discussion-request at nsrca.org