Involving the pattern community as a whole.

Larry Ott lott at brown-strauss.com
Wed Dec 11 14:38:58 AKST 2002

Marty,

We are getting closer.

> In a democracy, not everybody gets to vote on
> everything.  Only those who have the right to
> vote.  I can't vote in the Senate.  I'm not
> a Senator.  Non-U.S. citizens can't vote.
> Young citizens can't vote.  Criminals guilty
> of felonies can't vote.

Correct me if I err. At present the right to vote
is tied to belonging to the AMA. Any AMA member has
the right to submit proposals or lobby their CB rep
with their feelings about submitted proposals. With an
NSRCA Annex, the right to vote will be reserved for
NSRCA members. Therefore, under the Annex, AMA member
pattern flyers lose the right to vote. I am streching
the point for emphasis, but are they now criminals?

> When and if the NSRCA gets the right to
> draw up contest schedules, it will have to
> consult all interested AMA members.

If this also includes the right to vote on those
proposals, I agree. This is the point I have been
trying to make.

> But (in my view) the NSRCA has the right to
> consult NSRCA members about issues relevant
> to NSRCA policy.  It has the right and the
> obligation to survey its own members to find
> out what they think.  In surveys like that,
> non-members need not apply.

I agree with this too. Only NSRCA members can vote
on NSRCA policy. I think our disagreement stems from
different assumptions about what is and is not NSRCA
policy.

Larry Ott - AMA 9872
          - NSRCA 3381

# discussion-request at nsrca.org