dihedral question

Rcmaster199 at aol.com Rcmaster199 at aol.com
Sun Dec 8 20:14:57 AKST 2002

In a message dated 12/8/2002 10:53:54 AM Eastern Standard Time,
sanorth at shaw.ca writes:

> Subj:dihedral question
> Date:12/8/2002 10:53:54 AM Eastern Standard Time
> From:<A HREF="mailto:sanorth at shaw.ca">sanorth at shaw.ca</A>
> To:<A HREF="mailto:discussion at nsrca.org">discussion at nsrca.org</A>
> Sent from the Internet
>

> HI  i'm building a ultimate kaos 60 as a spare sport airframe.the plans
> show 1 inch dihedral under each tip.my question is if i cut it back to say
> 1/2 inch under each panel(1 inch total)would this have a good effect.i'd
> like to use it for practicing entry level pattern(fixed gear) any advice
> out there?thanks............

Shel,

The UK needs that much dihedral to fly knife edge correctly. I think you will
find that the model will tend to tuck down and roll in the opposite direction
of applied rudder, in adverse roll and pitch couple. It will make the plane
harder to fly in a neutrally balanced, Pattern like way. You can always mix
in the correct elevator and aileron electronically, but why go through the
trouble? I

In fact if you choose to make your change and do not mix in the correct
mixes, landing would become more difficult everytime you correct the plane in
yaw.

Matt Kebabjian