Annex Proposal

Ron Van Putte vanputte at nuc.net
Sat Dec 7 11:46:53 AKST 2002

I sent the following two messages to the NSRCA board yesterday for
comment.  After you've read the messages, you will see why 'time is of
the essence'.  Since the board members have already had the information
for more than a day, I thought it was time to make subscribers of the
NSRCA Discussion List aware of what was happening regarding the annex
proposal so that there's some time for appropriate comment and action.

The first - 12/6/02, 9:51 A.M.

"I just got a call from Steve Kaluf (AMA's Competition Director).  Steve
told me that the annex proposal had been reviewed by the AMA Executive
Council and they were taking a vote about whether to reject it out of
hand, without sending it to the contest board.  The deadline for the
vote is next Monday, but the voting is strongly for rejecting the
proposal.  He offered me a compromise - if I withdraw the proposal, we
would be given the opportunity for submitting multiple sets of maneuver
schedules, like FAI has for F3A schedules.  I offered him a compromise -
insert a contest board veto in the process before maneuver schedule
publication.  I am going to call Dave Brown and discuss this with him. I
wanted you to know what was going on because, even though I am the
proposer, I did it for NSRCA, based on the rules survey results."

The second - 12/6/02, 2:42 P.M.

"I had a long talk with Dave Brown.  As written, the annex proposal is
dead.  We talked about possible compromises.  The only one I was able to
support is to rewrite the proposal to include Contest Board approval of
whatever changes to the maneuver descriptions or maneuver schedules we
come up with.  The board approval would extend the time required for the
change process to be accomplished.  We would have to give AMA at least
60 days to approve what we would want to publish.  This means we'd have
to get the changes to the board by about the Nats time frame to make an
October 1st publication date.

"One big point he made was that the annex proposal should be withdrawn
before the final AMA Executive Council vote was accepted on whether to
reject the proposal.  That date is next Monday.  He said that it would
be more difficult to submit an urgent rule change annex proposal if the
vote deadline to reject it had passed.  As the proposer, I would really
like to have the Council go on record as rejecting the annex proposal.
As an NSRCA member who would like the annex proposal to pass, that would
probably not be the best option.

"Comments?"

Roin Van Putte

# discussion-request at nsrca.org