Too quiet . . . . weight savings idea.

The Hewson's hewson at on.aibn.com
Sat Dec 7 05:10:37 AKST 2002

This might be a change of subject for this thread but it is on the same
general topic.

I have another weight saving idea. I'm not sure whom I should give the
credit to for this one......but it works. It is currently on my mind because
I am in the process of acquiring some of this material for my own airplanes.

Instead of using the standard Silicone(?) fuel lines we all know well, use
plastic(?) vacuum lines in places where you don't need to have the fuel
lines be very flexible (ie: near the engine or where the tank may be moved
to access below it). These tubes are typically used on many different types
of automobiles as vacuum lines for some engine components and some heater
components.

I acquire mine from the Auto Recycler where I work. There is lots to be
found and it's free for me. I'm sure it can be purchased from a retailer as
well. I have never looked......I like recycling!!!

It is only a fraction of the weight of the silicon fuel line and if you get
the right size, the silicon line slides right over it. There is no need of
clamps or special joiners.

I have used it for several years without encountering any problems. I have
even run it with YS and Cline pressurized fuel systems.......NO PROBLEM.

I hope this helps.

I would like to hear weight saving ideas from others!!!  It would be nice to
read about more than just Politics.

Alan Hewson
Thornton, Ontario, Canada

Snowmen fall from Heaven unassembled.