Weather, Free Flight, and other current events...

Ted Sander tedsander at attbi.com
Wed Dec 4 19:28:14 AKST 2002

Tch, Tch
you’re all such softies.  It hit zero here last night, snowing all
day.  I’m going flying this Saturday.

So, on to one of my burning questions:

What happened to the luster of pattern over the last decade or so?
As for me – been flying RC for close to 30 years now.  Always loved
aerobatics.  Only have entered a few contests over the years, but I’m always
a flight judge for pattern, IMAC, scale (2 times this year, between 30 and
35 contests over the years).  Them that can, do. Them that can’t, judge. ;-)
Budget has only allowed my own .60 designs, but the price drop of the FOCUS
has me real, real close to buying a “real” pattern plane, finally.  Always
have read and re-read the coverage’s on aerobatic events.  Still have many
articles clipped about building, design, etc.  Used to be that all the major
mags had very consistent output of plans, aerodynamic discussions, and big
splashy contest coverage.  The latest NATS/World winners were the
superstars.  Now, coverage is nil and being reduced.  Magazine plans are
non-existent.  Pattern flyers in this region are scarce as hen’s teeth.
Contests are lucky to draw 10 or 12, all in the low classes.
Any thoughts?

Ted Sander
White Bear Lake (St. Paul)
Minnesota