[NSRCA-dist8] 2021 Season

Art Kelly afkelly25 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 26 08:06:19 AKDT 2020

Fellow D-8 pilots,

Thanks for the responses many of you sent regarding the proposal for adding
contests next year. Among the NSRCA DVP' I'm amazed to learn of the number
of contests in some districts. And yet travel demands are never more than a
couple of hundred miles.  In D-8 we are faced with the challenges of wide
open spaces. Washington, Oregon and Idaho are BIG states and the common
thread among all of us is the demands of long trips to get to contests.
I've spoken with John Bentley about this. We are both interested in
distributing our contests to make them more accessible while respecting
travel demands.

Here are some ideas on which we would like your feedback. The 2021 season
would offer eight +/- contests. The district champions would be recognized
on the basis of their five(?) best scores. This would permit all pilots to
select contests nearer to home but would not deny anyone from attending
more contests if they wish.

These are tentative actions being taken. We are pursuing a contest at the
Wenatchee field. Pavel is negotiating with their board to gain access. And
Rick Bergeron has proposed to the Eugene club the possibility of a contest
at their field. I've not been to that field but Rick reports that it is a
beautiful grass field, open flying area and pilots facing north (optimal
sun angles). There is also a possibility of an event at Beck's field, in
the Wilsonville area. Also, if these become a reality it's possible that
some could be one-day contests.

As we all know putting a contest season together is like a jigsaw puzzle;
it takes time and a lot of communication. That's why we are trying to get
the ball rolling at an early stage. There is a lot to consider among these
proposals, but it's up to all of us to determine how we want to proceed.
Once you've digested these, share your thoughts and add any ideas that
would contribute to a worthy 2021 season.

Thanks a bunch,

Art