[NSRCA-dist8] Taxiing for launch

Art Kelly afkelly25 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 26 09:41:12 AKST 2020

Hello all,

Our 2020 season is approaching. In fact, some of our stalwarts have headed
south and have already competed in John Bentley's contest in Arizona.
(check out patternscoring.com)  The rest of us have some catching up to do.

A reminder, our Judging Seminar is the weekend of March 28 & 29 at the
Motel 6 in Wilsonville. We will be starting at 10:00am to accommodate those
who plan to arrive on Saturday morning.
At this point I'm going to be very lonely because I find that I'm the only
person registered for the event. Most of us have experienced being a
contest CD and can understand how helpful it is to have *advanced*
registration for events. Please take a few minutes to go to the D-8 section
of the NSRCA web site and register for this year's contests. All the CD's
will be very grateful for your help.

Currently there is a topic receiving a lot of discussion across the NSRCA
districts. The status of the printed K-Factor. It has several facets.
Advertisers, the principal source of funding for producing each month's
edition, has dried up. NSRCA has attempted to pick up the slack with the
result that the treasury was severely impacted. NSRCA membership is
dropping. Continuing to print K-Factor can't continue as is. Charging extra
for printed copies could add an estimated $80 to the dues of each member
who wants printed copies.
*The Questions for D-8*:
1. How many of you are receiving a printed copy?
2. Would you be prepared to start receiving it digitally through the web
site?
3. Would you be prepared to pay a "surcharge" for a printed copy?

*This year's seminar has a large agenda.*
* FAA regulations. Big topic in NSRCA discussions.  I'd like to hear how
the proposed regs may impact the various fields where we fly.

* What are the feelings on our current contest schedule and what
suggestions, if any, do you guys have for future years?

* Pat Harris will be taking us through a quick tutorial on setting up and
running the scoring system. CD's should be more familiar with it.

* This is somewhat related to the K-Factor question. Our membership is
declining. What can we do to recruit new members? As a part of the
recruiting topic, what can we do to make our web site more current and
vital, to bring it more in tempo with today's digital and visual focus?

* Gary McClellan will be returning to the helm to guide us through the new
sequences. Please take some time to read through all classes *and* to
review Jim Hiller's powerpoint displays. Your advance preparation will aid
the discussion as well as improve our judging for all.

We have allocated two days to move through this agenda. Saturday morning we
will address the other business items and Gary will take over after that.

It's best to land with the canopy pointing up.

Art

--
Sent from cell phone