[NSRCA-dist8] Flight Trim

J N Hiller jnhiller at earthlink.net
Wed Jun 26 19:18:18 AKDT 2013

I'll post this. Some of you may find it interesting.
It quit raining today and I got to fly. I devoted most of the airtime to
checking and tweaking airplane setup.
Last fall I added wing incidence to force down elevator trim, flying the
tail higher, which helped vertical up pitch with minimum down elevator mix.
I had a heavy knife-edge pitch to the belly so I reduced wing incidence 1
1/2 turns on my 4-40 adjustment screw for the rear pin, which is 8 inches
behind the tube. This reduced the down elevator trim 7 beeps, about 1/16"
deflection. This nearly eliminated KE Pitch, however I had to increase down
elevator mix with high throttle 1% but needs another one yet. I really need
more down thrust but I've already added about as much as I can without
making offset motor mount beams.
I also had a little roll out on knife-edge so I reduced dihedral 1/4 turn
(.00625 in 9") on the adjusters but I need about that much more yet.
Looks like we will have flying weather for the next week but I need to judge
turn #1Saturday and Sunday at the club Pylon race.
That's about it from Spokane.
Jim