[NSRCA-dist8] Fun in the Sun, Richland - Hotels

J N Hiller jnhiller at earthlink.net
Mon Sep 12 16:58:11 AKDT 2011

Relax Mike we do this for fun. The top hat turnaround is a significant
compound maneuver. If we think it through it contains 11 precision elements
to be flown in rapid succession, plus a mandatory maneuver separation for a
total of 12 opportunities to gather downgrades. Its definitely a step up but
It gets easier after a couple hundred. First the thumb sequencing becomes
kind of automatic and flying it becomes more comfortable.
About the time you get comfortable you begin to question how well the
airplane is setup or trimmed. Pulling a straight vertical and radiuses
without a roll couple becomes very important in not only reducing pilot work
load but maybe more important is predictable flight behavior.
Pattern flying can be an extremely rewarding and challenging activity that
we need to grow into.