[NSRCA-dist8] Treasure Valley Pattern Contest Report

astropuppy astropuppy at gmail.com
Sun May 15 16:08:14 AKDT 2011

The second “Treasure Valley Pattern Contest” began with a roar Friday May 13
th as contestants arrived at BARKS field to practice in strong Southeastern
winds. By dinner time all known contestants where accounted for with the
exception of the mystery pilots from Utah.

 Saturday morning brought FAI mystery pilots Andrew Jesky and Darin Peirce
to the BARKS field where four rounds where flown Saturday and none on a cold
blown out Sunday morning.

 Being a new CD I was very grateful to Gordon Anderson for filling in
everything I had forgotten in the pilots meeting. After the pilots meeting,
the group proceeded out onto the runway for a photo session with Zaq of
Zuercher Photography.

 Wayne Lovett took off into a stiff southeastern breeze. Me(Mike Riggs) and
newcomer Tyler Kyle rounded out the sportsman class. Unfortunately,
mechanical problems finished Wayne's contest in the second round. I finished
first with BARKS member Tyler a close second.

 Sportsman was flown by BARKS member Nathan Wingert and Craig Christensen.
Craig in his second year of flying Sportsman bested Nathan in his first
year.

 Steve Sterling was the only Advanced participant flying his new (old)
Focus.

 Representing Masters class was pattern veterans Bill Bowen and Jim Hiller.
Bill flew the fourth round in strong winds with lightening to the south. I
didn't see it, but, was told Jim's fourth round flight probed the low cloud
ceiling.

 Andrew Jesky, Darin Peirce and Gordon Anderson flew FAI. The Utahan’s
fantastic flying really inspired Gordon; he told me he flew one of his best
ever FAI flights. With Andrews move to Utah last year Darin quickly flipped
back into pattern from his IMAC pursuits. With some unbelievable flying by
all, Darin finished second behind Andrew and ahead of Gordon.

 I would like to thank BARKS Members: Robert Sox for handling the money,
Lorin Finney for water and donuts, Lynn Street for lunch and a special
thanks to Charlie Wingert for being a runner. Biggest thanks goes to Nathan
and Tyler for their participation. Hint! Hint!

 Most of all I'd like to thank the D8 support crew. Operationally, Gordon
and Meri ran the contest. Gordon kept me on the straight and narrow while
keeping judges in the chairs. Meri took care of all of the scorekeeping.
Least I forget our D8 MVP Linda Sterling for her time in the judges chair.

 As a first time CD I can not express enough how appreciative I am for
everyone’s support. Every-bodies smiling face made it more than worth the
effort.

Hope to see you next year,

Mike

PS Lets all wish Andrew the best of luck at the World Championship this year
in Muncie.